Sunday, July 12, 2020

Campaign season and all that propaganda again


By SJ Otto
All week long I have been getting campaign literature from Republicans wanting both my vote and my money. For example, I got a slick big post card from Kris Kobach. He is vowing to confirm Constitutional Conservative to the Supreme Court. He also wants to:
  • Defend your 2nd amendment rights,
  • Protect lives of Unborn Children,
  • Roll Back unconstitutional regulations.
Of all of those, I do support the 2nd amendment, but I also support the first amendment and the fourth, all amendments that most of these conservatives don’t support.
Protecting the unborn means he opposes abortions. The odd thing about this is how much these conservatives don’t support such lives once they are born. They don’t support the rights of poor people to get healthcare. If a live dies after being born, conservatives here in Kansas just don’t care.
And when it comes to rolling back unconstitutional regulations, many of these conservatives are picky about “WHICH” unconstitutional regulations they want to roll back.
I received similar campaign fodder from Roger Marshal and a few others. All of them seem almost exactly the same. The same issues as we see above are the same issues all of them emphasize. It would seem originality is something that conservatives don’t value.
While I received one pamphlet from Kansas for Life which endorsed Marshall, there was another pamphlet tearing him down, by another conservative group that accused him attacking a neighbor with his truck. It would seem this was put out by a rival conservative wanting to beat him in the primary. At times, Marshall had been portrayed as a liberal, which he clearly is not. I was registered as a Republican for a few years. That is because there were contested primaries while the Democrats did not have such primary races. I have never been conservative. But at times voting in the Republican primary was a tactic that made sense.
Now I get all their literature and propaganda. I also see their ads on TV. Everyone defends our president and acts as if it is unthinkable to criticize “our president.” If find it surprising that Republicans just assume every Republicans supports Donald Trump. There are some Republicans who don’t like him. But everyone running for office here in Kansas seems to think we all love Trump.
I have gotten quite a few invitations to support Trump, in my e-mail. My favorite is the Trump 100 Club. It sounds so elite. It sounds like I’m real sophisticated if I join this club. 
Here are two examples, one from Eric and one from Lara:


Steve,

Where have you been?

I just found out that you STILL haven’t accepted your invitation to join the Trump 100 Club and I wanted to reach out to give you one more chance to join.

Because you’ve always been such a loyal Patriot in the past, I’ve been authorized to EXTEND your offer until 11:59 PM TONIGHT.

After tonight, your offer may be given to the next supporter in line who’s ready to fight for their President.

My husband, Eric, joined, Don Jr. joined, and so did Alex from Wisconsin! We’re just waiting on you now, Steve.


Please contribute ANY AMOUNT TODAY to join the Trump 100 Club. >> (If you actually want to contribute to Trump’s campaign, you are out of luck, I removed the hyperlink.)
 

FINAL NOTICE

This is your FINAL NOTICE, Steve.

So far, we've emailed you 4 times inviting you to join the Trump Presidential Honor Roll. Team Trump emailed you, my wife Lara emailed you, my brother Don Jr. emailed you, AND President Trump emailed you. 

We’ve done everything we can to get you to join this prestigious group, and now I’m reaching out to let you know that this is your LAST CHANCE.

I’m holding your spot for the NEXT 3 hours. After that, your offer will permanently EXPIRE and you will no longer be considered for a spot on the Honor Roll.

My father is counting on YOU, Steve. Don’t let him down.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT in the NEXT 3 HOURS to join the Trump Presidential Honor Roll. >> (I removed this hyperlink also.)

If I joined these clubs I would get these nifty do-dads. (SJ Otto)





No comments: