Saturday, July 23, 2016

The most thorough, profound and moving defense of Hillary Clinton I have ever seen.


I have my own selfish reasons for voting for Hillary. They mostly have to do with Obamacare and my own ability to get health care after my wife retires. A lot of millennials probably aren't that worried about health care. I wasn't in my 20s. I was in good health most of the time. But that was then, now I need a lot of care. The fact is I don't trust Donald Trump to replace Obamacare with something that will work for me. Also there is the Supreme Court nominations coming up and the fact that the Republican Party, which I generally hate, will control EVERYTHING! -SJ Otto


From Daily Kos

First of all — this is not my writing.  It's a Facebook post by someone I don’t even know, a man named Michael Arnovitz in Portland OR.  But as a Facebook post it passes the fair use test and I’m quite certain he would not object that I share it here (he doesn’t).   The original Facebook post is here: www.facebook.com/…  So without further ado, it’s truly worth the read:
________________________________________________________________________
"In the course of a single conversation, I have been assured that Hillary is cunning and manipulative but also crass, clueless, and stunningly impolitic; that she is a hopelessly woolly-headed do-gooder and, at heart, a hardball litigator; that she is a base opportunist and a zealot convinced that God is on her side. What emerges is a cultural inventory of villainy rather than a plausible depiction of an actual person." —Henry Louis Gates The quote above comes from a fascinating article called “Hating Hillary”, written by Gates for the New Yorker in 1996. Even now, 20 years after it was first published, it’s a fascinating and impressive piece, and if you have a few spare moments I strongly recommend it to you. (www.newyorker.com/...)

And I’m reading pieces like this because now that Hillary has (essentially if not officially) won the Democratic Primary, I have become increasingly fascinated by the way so many people react to her. In truth, I sometimes think that I find that as interesting as Hillary herself. And I can’t help but notice that many of the reactions she receives seem to reflect what Gates referred to as “a cultural inventory of villainy” rather than any realistic assessment of who she really is and what she has really done.

For the rest click here.

No comments: